People seem pretty excited about the news that Gwyneth Paltrow is reportedly converting to Judaism, but truthfully, it’s not like this is a seismic shock to anyone who’s been paying attention to the Goop-y star’s Semitic trajectory.
Let’s see, she:
- Is the daughter of Bruce Paltrow, who, like most Jews of his generation, went into showbiz.
- Posed with a challah in the pages of Vogue back in 2010.
- Wished “her people” a “shana tovah” in last year’s “back to school” issue of Goop.
- Brags about coming from a long line of “like, 17 generations of Rabbis“
- Seriously, she loves talking about how she’s descended from Rabbis.
- Calls herself a “Jewish Princess”
- Also, “the original Jewish mother” (oh. okay.)
So, yeah, this shouldn’t really be a surprise to anyone at this point.
Apparently, though, Gwyneth’s conversion isn’t just about her personal Jewish identity (which seems to be doing just fine on its own) as it is about her kids’, as well. Reports Page Six:
…Paltrow had said she wants to raise her daughter, Apple, 10, and son, Moses, 8, in a Jewish environment, even though their father is Christian.
Regardless – Mazal tov and welcome to the tribe, Gwyneth! It’s been a long, painfully obvious time coming, but we’re happy to have you nonetheless.