We Are the Fury’s percussionist Stephan Lublin quit touring with the band to work with a new kind of drumstick; he now attends culinary school in Paris and blogs at MySpace.com/TheFoodComa. Here’s one of his favorite recipes:
Warm Lobster Salad
- 1 Live lobster (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 1 Diced medium onion
- 1 Diced shallot
- 2 Crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 Peeled and seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 1 1/2 cup Fish stock
- 1 cup Mixed greens
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Tarragon vinegar
- 1/4 cup Cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start with a live lobster. With the point of your knife, cut straight down through the lobster’s head and down to the cutting board to kill it. It may continue to wiggle, but that’s just nerves.
- Rip the claws and tail from the body and cut the torso section in half. Heat butter in a large pan and add all the lobster pieces.
- Cook two minutes until the shell turns red. Add onion, shallot, garlic, tomato and tomato paste. Stir and cook one minute. Add white wine and reduce, about two to three minutes. Add fish stock and cook for seven minutes.
- Remove lobster tail and claws and reduce the liquid in the pan by half. Strain liquid and mix in a blender with heated cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the lobster meat from the shell, slice and serve with sauce. Serve with mixed greens seasoned with fleur de sel, cracked pepper, olive oil and tarragon vinegar.
Click here to read the story of how Lublin’s recipe was inspired by an experience at a gas station somewhere off the New Jersey Turnpike.